Friday 13 March 2009

Its a funny old game...

Mobility
Ankles, Knees, Hips, Shoulders and Wrists

Warm Up - High Pulls/Snatches/OHS/Cleans/Jerks with the bar

Session A
Power Snatches - 6 sets 5 reps - 35kgs
Overhead Squat - 5 sets 5 reps - 20kgs
Pull for Clean - 5 sets 5 reps - 40kgs
Power Cleans - 5 sets 5 reps - 45kgs
Jerk from Racks - 5 sets 3 reps - 40kgs
Back Squat - 3 sets 5 reps - 50kgs
Hanging Leg Raises - 1 set close to failure

Stretches

Comments: Felt really good warming up, thought that I was all but over my cold and was feeling plenty strong. I was whipping the empty bar about and making that really satisfying SLAM with my feet on the snatches. It turned out to be a game of two halves, I felt like I could have gone heavier on the first 4 exercises but by the time I got to the Jerks I was going downhill. Endurance wasn't there today.

Saying that, overall it was a good session. Egged on by Maurice I was getting deeper and deeper on the OHSquats. He had me hold bottom position for a bit on the last rep of each set. It was agony for me but at the same time the bar felt lighter, like I had better control of it and better balance. Also on my Power Cleans I was focusing on trying to whip the elbows round. I found that the more aggressive I was in doing this the easier it felt.

Maurice's philosophy - with beginners anyway - is to lift with good form with a weight that you can handle on that day. This is why some of my weight selections may not be making sense. When my conditioning, technique and strength all start to catch up then the weight selections will fit. That's why I have the odd stand out weight like Pressing from my last session and then doing less this session on Jerks.

2 comments:

Franklin said...

Maurice's philosophy makes a lot of sense .. you are in good hands. Keep up the great work!

Martin Schap said...

Sounds like Maurice's philosophy lines up well with your amazing DL experiment of days gone by. You are fortunate to have found such a good coach. I say fortunate, but I don't mean lucky. You made your own luck on this with all of your research and pounding the pavement looking for a good fit. Nice work on the HLRs. I am embarrassed to admit that I currently lack the flexibility and ab strength to do even one proper rep.