Tuesday 3 March 2009

Schooled!!

Met up with yet another gentleman of a weightlifter today. At over 70 years old Morris has aged well. He looks in his 50's and lifts fast! He told me his knee was a little sore today, but he was stunned because "I never get any aches or pains". He also introduced me to his friend Duke who has DL'd 192.5kgs at 57kgs. He looked like he was 80!! I'm beginning to wonder if Olympic Weightlifting is the elixir of life.

Everyone I talked to told me that I was in very good hands - and I was. He took me through the Snatch and Clean, with hang and power variations. He even had me trying the split snatch and split clean. He lifted with me rep for rep, and all his lifts had more snap and power to them.

Not only can he lift, he can teach which is what I'm most interested in. After we did push presses, he told me a few things which helped ground me and made the lift feel more solid. I was fine on bench presses (just not enough weight for my liking). While I was there though I got him to take a look at me DLing. I did it the Pavel way - braced before going down, got tight, descended and lifted it when I got my hands on it. He told me to get down, make sure my back was flat, then brace and "you'll think this sounds silly, but pull yourself into the ground." It didn't sound silly at all, I do it for my overhead stuff, but I've never thought of applying it to the DL. I did a very comfortable double with 130kgs, felt it in the hamstrings more than I usually do. I was very impressed with just that tip alone.

It's obvious I can learn a lot from Morris. He doesn't have the facilities that the club in Belfast has, but I think that given my present circumstances he is my best option. I'll give it a go with him for a while and see how I get on. If it doesn't work out then the club in Belfast is always there. I've got to talk to him later, but if he tells me he can take me to a 100kgs C&J we're in business.

Edit: "100kgs? Oh, I should think so. " - he'll tell me anything I think, but I've got myself a coach. Start Friday morning :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mouse here,
You said you wanted a Mickey type character sounds like you've got two.
Me? I'd prefer Annie from Croosfit LA!

Colin said...

Yes - I'm not looking forward to seeing Morris in a weightlifting singlet when we do a comp!! Still, no distractions.

Franklin said...

That's one heck of an Oly training session for your first time. Morris sounds hardcore and you may have found gold in those ole-bones.

Interesting that Pavel teaches to push your feet through the floor which is similar to Morris' DL cue.

Colin, you definitely have the ability to do a 100kg C&J before I achieve it and I will achieve it!

Colin said...

Cheers Franklin. I should say that I've been spelling it wrong and it is Maurice....he just looks more like a Morris.

He normally likes to be in and out of the gym himself in 30 minutes he told me. But just while I had him there I wanted him to take a good look at everything I did. I heard a lot of Pavel's philosophy echoed in his coaching points.

I sent the first guy George a text to say thanks and that I was going to train with Maurice. He replied "no better man". So I do think I have found gold. I know he can take me to the 100, but it'll take time. My speed on the smaller weights is lacking....and I've got to get my elbows round faster, not just as an after thought.