Friday 6 March 2009

So it begins.....

Mobility
Ankles, Knees, Hips, Shoulders and Wrists
(All the places you need for Oly Lifting; all the places I need work on!!)

Warm Up - Snatches/Cleans/Jerks/Squats with the bar

Session A
Power Snatches - 6 sets 5 reps - 35kgs
Overhead Squat - 5 sets 5 reps - 20kgs
Pull for Clean - 5 sets 5 reps - 40kgs
Power Cleans - 5 sets 5 reps - 45kgs
Jerk from Racks - 5 sets 3 reps - 40kgs
Back Squat - 3 sets 5 reps - 45kgs
Hanging Leg Raises - 1 set close to failure

Stretches

Comments: Started training proper with Maurice today. He gave me a print out with 3 sessions to do per week. This is to get me fit for lifting and I'll be on it for about a month. He wants me to be motoring through it and get some conditioning out of it too.

As far as the weights above go sometimes I worked up to that weight, others straight in and just left on because they were handy. It isn't about going as heavy as possible at this stage. Looking for some conditioning, finding my level and correcting gross technical errors I suppose. It was great to have Maurice there telling me rep for rep what was going well and what wasn't.

For now I'll only be doing some mobility/stretching and practicing lifts at home with a wooden dowel. At some point I'd like to throw in a little grip work, a few TGUs and some swings, snatches or sprints. That'll be down the road though and only if I feel it is necessary.

I have also cut back on the milk and decided to see how I get on with a sensible diet and 3 sessions per week. I honestly don't mind if I lose or put on a little - just as long as overall I lose fat and gain muscle. I still have the measurements I took when I was starting my hypertrophy stage, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I'd also liked to have done the Max Jones Quadrathlon to see what improvements I'd make. I might test my vertical and broad jump - but I'd be keeping those (small) figures to myself! ;)

I got some cracking resources yesterday off my good mate Paul - some dvds and a FANTASTIC book by Tommy Kono. Highly instructional and incredibly inspirational. I could get really into this weightlifting lark.

3 comments:

Martin Schap said...

This new venture sounds like just the thing for your goals, comfort zone and so forth. Great to see you've got yourself a coach adn are ready to hit it hard. Dan John has wondered if the clean and press is the fountain of youth, so it is no surprise that these old gents are so spry.

Colin said...

Paul said to me that he reckoned Oly Lifting alone would enable me to hit ALL my goals. I think the three of us are agreement about that.

I had to ice and stretch the shoulder last night - worst its been in a while. I have a feeling it was from high pulls rather than jerks. Hopefully I can get it under control for Monday....cos I ain't missing that session!

Franklin said...

Fantastic session! I know I've only been out this for a short time but from what Maurice has you doing .. he is the real deal!

Do not underestimate 40kg and less sessions. These are absolutely essential to hone technique. I was a little pig-headed in the beginning and tried to move up too fast .. as a result I induced a number of tweaks and setbacks that could have been avoided.

These movements are killer and it will take several months for your body to acclimate.