Sunday 25 November 2007

My Goals and The Plan

Although I've already said that I want to lose fat and gain muscle, according to anything I've read on setting goals these are not specific enough.

So, I have another more specific set of goals for the first set of medium/long term.

Goal - Pass the RKC Rite of Passage drills.
Which specifically means being able to one-arm press half your body weight and snatch a 24kg KB 200 times in 10 minutes....to become a man among men!!!

So why have I selected Kettlebells as my vehicle to reach my goals? KB lifting is one of the best tools for all round physical development. A russian study was done which observed two groups of students over a period of 2 years. Performance was measured using a standard battery of military PT tests - Pull Ups, Broad jumps, 100 meter sprint and 1k run. One group practiced using a standard program emphasizing the above exercises, the other group only used KB lifts. In spite of their lack of practice in any of the tests the KB group showed better scores in everyone of them!!

KBs are highly effective for building strength. It is great for your heart. It improves body composition. Good enough reasons? I think so. By getting myself to the level of my goals I have no doubts of improved stats in weight and fat percentage, also being much stronger and having a greater work capacity.

The Plan

Is simple. I will follow Pavel Tsatsouline's Enter The Kettlebell along with the AOS workbook which supports it. I will cycle through them both over and over with heavier KBs until I have passed the ROP. I will post each workout here along with some pics and any other info that I feel is relevant.

No comments: