Thursday 29 November 2007

Potential "What The Hell"Effects

What the hell (WTH) effects for those who don't know, are the great side effects that come with training with Kettlebells. These are kinda outlined in the story below of the study in which a group was able to increase scores in PT test exercises simply by doing KB training.

People have experienced good gains in running, chins, deadlift, vertical jump, standing jump, throwing, push ups etc and many other unrelated exercises to KB training. This is what draws so many to them I think.

So, just to check for any WTH effects while I'm striving for the ROP test I'm going to record some of my PR's and see if I can bust 'em after I reach these goals.

1.5 miles run - 8mins 55secs
100m sprint - 14 secs (yeah, I know...I'm like BillyWhiz!!)
Deadlift - 140Kgs
BW Deadhang Chin Ups - 3
Barbell Clean and Push Press - 65kgs

With the exception of the 1.5 mile run most of these were set fairly recently - so it shall be interesting to see what changes occur. I wish that I had some for throwing a shot put, standing jumps, long jump etc.

I will also keep you updated with any unusual ones that crop up in everyday life as I go along ;)

2 comments:

Martin Schap said...

Good thinking on testing! I look forward to seeing if anything improves.

Colin said...

When you think about it, you get lighter and you get stronger. If that improve your ability to move your body faster/further I don't know what would!!

Any closer to getting the 24kg yet? I'm going to count the pennies and see if I can justify getting a 32kger for variety days...plus just for coolness sake ;)