Saturday 21 February 2009

I Got Milk

Starting my new focus on hypertrophy.....well from now I guess. I took lots of measurements this morning which I'll post in 4 weeks along side my progress. The plan is pretty simple, I'm adding in some milk to my diet and switching to EDT style training 3 times a week.

There are quite a lot of sites and books I've come across recommending milk as an excellent mass builder - though it would seem that results are mixed as to how much is fat. Mark Rippetoe suggests that milk along with his program starting strength will sort out those who are too skinny or those who are too fat. Regardless, I am feeling very protective of my gains in weight loss (if you see what I mean) so I'm not going to 'GOMAD' with the gallon of milk a day approach right out of the blocks. I drank 2 pints today and will stick with this for a week and monitor from there. I'll up it as long as I am not gaining too much fat - and hopefully in line with the amount of work I'm doing in my sessions.

On that note, I had a bit of a play around to get an idea of the weights I need to using for this new program. Man I have lost so much strength it ain't funny! So, I've decided to start off a bit conservatively and hopefully it should come back to me quite quickly. Its also a good idea as I've discussed before how I reckon big jumps in volume on the training side lead me to eat lots more crap to feel less tired.

So I'm looking to strike a balance with it, but still get results. Next session will be Tuesday.

5 comments:

Martin Schap said...

Awesome. I know you've been looking forward to starting the new phase. I drink a lot of milk, though nothing close to GOMAD, and I have never noticed it making me fat. There is however a direct relationship between the amount of restaurant food I eat and adding visible fat in the love handles and belly button area. My sister the dietician tells me that the clacium in milk actually prompts the body to burn off fat.

Colin said...

Yeah, it's kind of my reward for sticking with the correctional stuff for 3 months. But what a reward, it'll be quite brutal.

I wish my sister was a dietician, that would be very cool. You never really talk about your diet much. I get the impression though that you have to be quite flexible because of your working arrangements, so you sort of wing it. Are you low carb etc etc?

Thanks for the post on DD btw. When my nephew asked me my eyes lit up and I started thinking of all the stuff I'd have wanted to have known to do at aged 8.....but it doesn't work that way. Ross Enamait and Monkey Bar Gym has lots of play type stuff to sort him out.

Franklin said...

After doing the stones to pounds computation you have lost a nice chuck of weight .. Congratulations!

With the addition of the milk and clean eating for all else, I'm you will put on muscle and get stronger .. especially with an EDT program.

Great idea to start conservatively .. it really won't take you long to recover or I should say uncover your lost strength and then exceed it.

Martin Schap said...

I don't really think about my diet much except that I try to eat clean as much as possible. Work arrangements have gotten a lot more user friendly since switching jobs at the beginning of December, so I am eating out far less than I once did. I also find that packing a lunch is a big key for me. I usually take 2-3 sandwiches to work as well as some bananas. I keep a jar of peanut butter at work and I put it on the bananas for a snack during the day. The sandwiches are usually bologna or peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat. Other than that my diet varies fairly widely.

Colin said...

It sounds like you do quite well on a higher carb diet. Lucky guy!! I'm not saying that you eat in this way but I've always thought it is easier to get away with more indescretions if you have more muscle and a lower BF. My brother was the real sports star when we were younger - he ate like a horse and never put on a pick. He'd eat all sorts of rubbish. Time is starting to catch up wih him though.

Franklin, it seems that I didn't start off conservatively enough. After either DLing or Squatting I damaged my back. It is hard to explain - but suffice to say it has shaken my confidence doing either of those exercises for a little while longer. I've changed the program a little and it is now centred around 24kg snatches + LCCJs.