Tuesday 30 September 2008

Same but different

Haven't done any training for a few days now. I've been walking plenty, and doing a little messing around but nothing to write about really. I have also fell off the wagon as far as eating goes too.

Nothing completely over the top, and nothing I feel guilty or sickened by either. I think over the past few months I have developed the attitude that I would like to get my weight down and I'll make steps towards that, but also that Rome wasn't built in a day and that there will be backslides. I'm not going to beat myself up over it - I'm only human, and besides it was all bloody lovely!! ;)

Time to get back at it for another while now.

I've decided to do a bit of bodyweight stuff for a few months. I was reading over some stuff at the Monkey Bar Gym and I liked the philosophy of their training style. Focused around running, jumping, climbing and crawling. Kind of like I've been doing recently, the workouts are crossfitesque and they also encourage working towards certain skills like handstand walks, pistols and muscle ups. They do use KBs, sandbags and jump bands but tend not to go for the barbell stuff that crossfit utilizes.

They post different WODs based on the type of equipment you may have to hand or for more specific goals. I decided to try their 60 Day Challenge which includes using some equipment like a power wheel and some webbing for assistance in certain body weight exercises. It'll take around 2 weeks to get here, so I'll have to work around it a bit until it gets here. Subbing the exercises with equipment I do have.

I made it clear when I started this blog that I was interested in KBs due to the study reported in Russian KB Challenge about improvements in sprints, broadjumps, pull ups etc from sole use of KBs. The "what the hell effect". Well, I did have improvement upon my Deadlift with nowt but swings, but as for the rest its been more a case of "where the hell?".

I realise that a lot of that has been down to my weight going up, but using heavier weights I have found it impossible to eat like I know I should. I want to try a bit of bodyweight stuff, higher reps and see how I find that for a while. Besides, it is this kind of parkour stuff that really interests me. Low level stuff like being able to get over walls, vault fences and have a decent vertical and horizontal jump. All the strength goals I have had were ones that I read you needed as a base for doing most of the above well.

After going through the sites past workouts I went to the park for a bit of a scout around to see where I could do these workouts. When I looked through these eyes I saw lots of great places that offered the chance for progressions due to slopes, different sized walls, steps etc. I know that to begin I'll have to keep my ego in check and I'll look a right plonker doing some of the stuff. But I'm really looking forward to it.

3 comments:

Martin Schap said...

If you look for it there is exercised equipment everywhere. I have looked at some videos and such from monkey bar gym. It's definitely a cool concept. I was thinking of stopping by when I was in Madison last year but was a bit put off by the high daily fee. They ding you for the same amount whether you want to just come in and work out on your own or take a class.

Colin said...

I think it is definitely all about the money with them. The material they give you is lacking a bit, and their forums aren't much cope.

That said I do like some of the equipment and the kind of parkour focus.

Franklin said...

Holy moly! That's a big change in plans .. and a great one at that!

Since I sustained a knee injury during jerks just before my cert, I have recently tested jogging but I'm not there yet .. still a bit of pain. I'm very fortunate I can continue with what I'm doing so I can't complain.

I do happen to be of the school that believes that massive KB swinging with the 24kg will melt the fat away quicker than anything else (provided you are maintaining some reasonable but not excessive caloric intake with high protein, low glycemic carbs).