Tuesday 12 February 2008

Grip fun!!

24 kgs MP 3x5 32kgs PP 2x1

CoC Gripper (Trainer) 3 x 5

Pinch grip wooden block 10kgs 3 x 20secs

Levering - Forward and back with sledgehammer 2 x 5
Turnovers with sledgehammer 2 x 5 - hand positioning very close to head to sledge

Bit of a mixed bag tonight. Again heart just didn't seem to be in it, strict MPs were ok but the PPs were ugly. Stopped after 2 because again really my head was in the wrong place. Maybe I'm trying too much, switching to program minimum format with 2 conditioning and 2 pressing session per week....after snatch night tomorrow night ;)

Now the grip work was a bit of a breath of fresh air. Really I'm only gauging a lot of the stuff here, I can already see that the CoC Trainer is too easy, Number 1 too hard (KB deja vu). I have one other addition to add to this little routine which is a container of sand to work extensors and crushing. Hopefully it will fatigue the hands so that I get a better workout with the trainer coc.

Pinch grip is with about a 3" wooden block which has a bolt through it with a chain on the end. Obviously then I loop the chain through the standard weights I have. The "turnovers" are with my arm parallel to the ground and I'm turning my wrist clockwise as far as it will go then back again anti-clockwise. I don't know the correct name for this movement.

I have pretty much decided that I want to try my hand at bending after I do the ROP (and not before!!) so I want to make sure I'm ready to get started, and of course this can't hurt with improving grip for snatches.

5 comments:

Martin Schap said...

I was thinking of making a pinch grip trainer exactly as you've described. I have really been loving the grip stuff that I do. I ordered a pair of those hand gripper helpers from Ironmind. They are just right for me. Like you, the Trainer is now pretty easy, and though I don't have a #1 yet, I can tell from using the helper that it would likely be a max effort or beyond. Anyway, long story short point- the helper is the ticket. I would highly recommend one.

Martin Schap said...

Also, check this out. It may be a helpful technique for you. http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/GripTips/GripTip30.html

Martin Schap said...

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/GripTips/GripTip30.html

Martin Schap said...

Ok, sorry, don't know why that link keeps cutting off. It is one of the John Brookfield grip tips and it talks about using a washcloth with your gripper. It's a bit complicated, but if you go back through them you will find it.

Colin said...

Its ok the whole link came through to my email with the message. It looks like a simple little solution, shame I couldnt use a cloth to help me close the gap in some way with the KBs :)

Reckon I may need to invest in some ankle weights for that.