Wednesday 13 February 2008

My Gym

Been a while since I put any pics onto my blog so I thought it would be cool to get a few up of where I trained. The ones of me doing PRs are going to have to wait.


This is where the magic happens - ooooo it's like Cribs!!! - swing and snatch central. Plenty of room for the KB exercises and also to skip in another part. There's a pretty decent garden up to the left where I take the sledgehammer and tyre. Over that wall about 40 feet is a cliff down to the sea, so it isn't the most sheltered spot and it gets pretty rough out there at times. I've also got my chin up bar that I've had since I was about 20. It's got the bands on cos I'm a fat bastard who can't do anymore than 3 unaided reps....last time I tried :)

This is my gym where I'm currently only doing the grip stuff. There's a horseshoe on my door that I've got my eye on being able to bend in the future. Don't know if my Da would be happy about that but I suspect if I was able to bend it he'd be too scared to do anything about it!!

I have this idea now about hanging all the different spikes and bolts etc on the plywood board when I get into it - kinda like the CoCs are now. Not long after I had the idea I saw it on another site, I was raging he stole my idea!!

I guess I was optimistic when I got the chinning belt, I think I got the bands around the same time. It actually has mould on it now haha. The clear tub has sand in it, probably needs a little more, it's for extensor and grip work.

My courage corner - got the three bells, some extra weights, iron mind sand bag and the good old sledge and tyre. I did have some other sand bags til quite recently, but they rotted in this damp, leaky old hell hole. I shall have to get some more made up, I like working with sandbags for carrys and throws etc.

Finally - here's my pinch block set up. It's got a counter sunk nut at the top so it isn't in the way. Made it some time ago but I'm really going to start using it along with the sledge and grippers to build up a base level in my hands and wrists.

This grip stuff...well..has a grip on me at the minute. I'm not going to be completely seduced by it though until I hit my goal for this year....ROP.

1 comment:

Martin Schap said...

That's a nice looking set-up Colin. It has that balance of being austere and no frills yet everything you need is covered.

As far as a gradual progression for the presses, have you looked into SCUBA weights? I just did a quick search and found 1-5 pound increments for $3-$15 depending on size. You could easily loop a strap through them and secure them to the kb.