Saturday 12 July 2008

Deep Squat Sensation.....

....well almost.

Woke up this morning feeling very, very stiff and sore from yesterdays fun with snatches. I've been going well for the last 6 days or so and thought I deserved an easy day. I decided to do most of the stuff in the plan like mobility, correctional exercises, stretching and a bit of rolling; only not in any formal way, just here and there throughout the day.

Anyway, I began to run through my mobility and got to the squats. I do these using the handles either side of my door for support, and I do take a lot of support. Today as I was doing them I noticed that I was using less and purposely tried to use less and less support thereafter. It felt strangely easy, my body finally slung betwen my legs as opposed to way behind me or parallel to ground - this is something I just thought I'd never be able to do!!

I stopped and grabbed my snooker cue and tried to do an overhead squat. It wasn't quite there, and probably didn't look a lot different than normal - but I knew something was different here. I stood on my 2" block and tried again. Bingo!!! Feet pointing straight in front of me, hammies on calves and my overhead lockout - while still not perfect - wasn't close to being past my knees.

This would get me a pass in the new FMS test. A score of 2 with 3 being the best. I believe that in order to be able for a pistol I'd need to be a 3. The best thing is though that I haven't been doing correctional exercises specifically for the deep squat. There's definitely a bit of overlap, but encouragingly still more to come. I'm delighted with this progress.

4 comments:

Martin Schap said...

Nice! You will have a pistol soon my friend, and I know how you've always said you admired them. Great work. Keep at it and you will be an even better athlete than you were before your injuries kicked in.

Colin said...

Thanks Martin.

Yeah I do like those pistols and I think one would look good on me. Won't be holding any babies though!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!
Mouse

Colin said...

Cheers, little ears!