Tuesday 1 July 2008

Hanging in the balance.

Got the Grey Cook(pause) book today through the post along with one on trigger points. On first read/scan through I like it. The 5 screening movements look simple to do on your own and you don't need much equipment.

I'm going to do them and assess myself when my back completely clears up. (Fail,fail,fail,fail,fail!!) According to the book you should focus exclusively on the progression/corrective exercises of one movement at a time and then re-test them all. I really want to just get started on the overhead squat ones - but apparently you need to address assymmetries first......we'll see hehe.

You can also build your routine around it or throw them in as a warm up or cool down. Reckon I'm going to do them along with just some mobility and 16kg Vo2 Max snatches 3-4 times per week. I still haven't decided if I'm going to begin doing Naked Warrior or not yet - regardless, I still don't think there's much point me banging out heavy deads or presses until I've at least tired to sort out these mobility/flexibility/stability issues. Maybe I can stop the heavy eating too :)


Mouse: That Steve Maxwell DVD got these exercises in it more or less? Someone should tell him that a bakers dozen is 13...but it ain't gonna be me!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does, yes, and a whole lot more!
If I ever meet him I will let him know on your behalf. Have a look at www.davedraper.com, both the IOL blog and the forum as they use the FMS as their test tool and discuss the correctives. Good stuff!

Franklin said...

I just went to the FMS site and it looks like they offer 3 different DVD sets. What exactly did you get?

Colin said...

Franklin - I got his book "Athletic Body In Balance". That's all I got of Grey Cooks. I also got the Brett Jones DVD and another book on trigger points. There are now 7 movements but only 5 are detailed in the book along with correctional exercises you can do alone - though cam corder would be really useful.

Check out the link above that Mouse mentions it gives some great info on rehab using these and other methods...if you look through it for them.

I used to be very off hand with this sort of stuff but I have definitely changed my mind.

Martin Schap said...

My own injuries and the experiences of others keeps reinforcing the importance of rehab/prehab and training to be able to safely execute movements. I used to prioritize hard training over anything else, but I keep realizing how critical the longevity component reeally is. Hope you are back to it soon.

Colin said...

Cheers Martin

My back had a relapse when I was spring cleaning the other day :(

I've got a foam roller and a trigger point tool on the way so hopefully i can work on other problems for a little while.

Mouse

That site is very good. Eating up all the info!!

Anonymous said...

Mouse here,
Glad to be of service!
Which trigger point book did you get, and what's the trigger point tool?
I happen to have one or two in my collection, both books and tools!
Don't forget that there are different approaches, don't be to afraid to mix them up.