Monday 7 July 2008

Functionally Incorrect

Back felt good enough to try the functional movement screen tests today. It lets me know that it isn't 100% every now and then so the vo2 max snatch sessions are going to have to wait a little while longer. Anyway below are the results of the test. (p.s. for dowel read snooker cue)

Deep Squat: Pass is heels stay down; hips below knees; knees over feet and the dowel does not go forward to touch the inside of the door frame.

Result - Fail. Heels came up, hips above knees, knees extended over toes, dowel hit door frame. To be fair though I did do a little foam rolling and a few corrective toe touch exercises before I tried this test and it did feel a little better than before.

Hurdle Step: Pass is Hips, knees and ankles remain aligned forward; dowel and hurdle remain parallel; dowel does not touch the wall; balance maintained

Result: Fail. Marking myself hard on this one, I felt like most of it was fine but my balance was a little off on both legs but more so on the right side. Hard to explain but I also felt like I was compenstating in some way to get my leg back over the hurdle by using my lower back.

In-line Lunge: Pass is minimal to no upper body movement, feet remain inline on tape, back knee touches tape behind heel of front foot, dowel does not touch the wall and balance is maintained.

Result: Fail. Couldn't keep my lower body in line and my upper body was compenstating side to side and forwards. Again my right side was a bit worse than left.

Active straight Leg Raise: Pass is ankle bone passes the mid thigh; floor bound leg does not move; toes always pointing upwards and knee straight.

Result: Fail. Ankle on both sides crossed at just below the knee.

Seated Rotation: Pass is dowel touches the wall; dowel remains level and in contact with the chest and the spine remains straight and upright.

Result: Fail. Damn, thought I had a shot at this one. Couldn't get either side to touch at all with keeping myself upright, just too tight. Was about 5 inches away on either side.

I'm sure that if I had been able to video these tests I'd have found a multitude of other tiny errors. For the most part though going on what I could see and feel it was a no brainer to know that I didn't pass them...at this stage. I also realise that without pics it would be hard to know exactly what is going on with each test, but they are too time consuming to explain fully. Hopefully I shall be able to pick up a little camcorder sooner rather than later and get a few videos up to better show what's going on.

No comments: