Monday 14 July 2008

FMS Re-test

Already knew a few days ago that I had passed the screen that I was specifically trying to correct - I was a pleased to learn I passed a few more though.

Deep Squat: Pass is heels stay down; hips below knees; knees over feet and the dowel does not go forward to touch the inside of the door frame.

Result - Failed without heel elevation and passed with it.

Hurdle Step: Pass is Hips, knees and ankles remain aligned forward; dowel and hurdle remain parallel; dowel does not touch the wall; balance maintained

Result: Pass. Balance was a bit better than last time and it felt smoother and easier to do.

In-line Lunge: Pass is minimal to no upper body movement, feet remain inline on tape, back knee touches tape behind heel of front foot, dowel does not touch the wall and balance is maintained.

Result: Pass able to touch knee to ground on each side and felt and looked straight. I felt that there was still a little bit of forward lean from upper body but less than max allowed.

Active straight Leg Raise: Pass is ankle bone passes the mid thigh; floor bound leg does not move; toes always pointing upwards and knee straight.

Result: Pass - barely though, ankle made it to mid thigh but I'd say there were little compensations beginning to creep in.

Seated Rotation: Pass is dowel touches the wall; dowel remains level and in contact with the chest and the spine remains straight and upright.

Result: Fail. As I expected still a long way away from this one.

Contrary to last time I would have needed a camcorder to tell if I was failing these by way of things impossible to pick up on your own. I felt more balanced and indeed stronger on the movements I passed. Thinking about it, it doesn't really come as a surprise that I passed the hurdle step and inline lunge without "directly" fixing them. I was doing lunges, activating and strengthening my core, stretching out hips, ankles and hamstrings - there really is a lot of overlap.

Start again tomorrow and concentrate on Deep Squat and Seated Rotation. I'd also like to keep what I've worked for so expect to see some toe touches and plenty of stretching.

Walking

60 mins - 60-70% HR (111 - 129 bpm)

489 KCal (60% Fat) Max HR 140 (75%) Average HR 111 (60%) In Zone for 29:36

Stretches
Hamstrings, Hips, Lats and Shoulders

Had trouble getting the HR up high enough. It's pretty much on the flat except for the massive hill at the very end which accounts for the 140. Couldn't go any faster without looking like a power walker. Wonder what my HR would be on my usual ambling pace? Need to see if I can find a backpack and stick a bit of weight in it.

3 comments:

Franklin said...

I just caught up on your last week of posts .. excellent job. Its was very nice of Brett to get back .. he was extremely impressive at my RKC Cert.

My local library has Athletic Body in Balance and I'm working through it. I don't anticipate any problem with any of the screens, I've always had very good mobility and ROM. I also have gone through the Secrets Series and need another viewing to internalize all the information there.

I take it that your back has healed nicely and you will be back to your regular training in a short while and in particular your progress with pulls.

Colin said...

Cheers Franklin. Yes very happy that Brett took the time.

If you have the means, video them as you do them. You'll pick up things you don't when you do them - I bet I could find all sorts on mine. Regardless I've made a lot of progress.

Back still lets me know it isn't 100% on some days and I wouldn't want to be pulling heavy with it just yet. But I've got a Purposefully Primative inspired simplistic plan in mind after I done with this. Hopefully not longer than a few weeks.

What did you think of that book? I got a few ideas from it but it didn't live up to all the hype as far as I'm concerned.

Franklin said...

PP was okay but not great .. all the emphasis and strength and cardio and no mention of Kettlebells seemed very weird especially coming from Dragondoor.

I did like the chapter on the mind and interesting idea of cycling between the two extreme diet plans.

In a few cycles down the road I would like to try his commended one a week for 6 weeks barbell back builder routine with power cleans, deads, squats etc .. it will be a nice break from bells.