Wednesday 9 July 2008

Everyday I hate you less and less...

Response from Brett Jones on my re-hab plan:

Colin,
You have the body of adonis and the grace and speed of a gazelle....

Just kidding here's the real one ;)

Colin,
Go after the ASLR (static leg raise) and Truck Stability Push-up and Thoracic mobility work first - after seeing those improve then re-test and see where you are.
Trigger point - work a few spots before going into the corrective drills and stretches - and the plan to hit the hamstrings and hip flexors with the stretches is a good one.
One or two corrective sessions (don't feel the need to hit everything every time - pick an area to emphasize during a session and then another area in the next one.) will be fine and only work the mobilty drills that make the goal movements better.
Keep me posted
Brett

Many thanks to Brett for his suggestions and time.

Here's how I interpretted/implemented his advice - let me know what you think guys.

Foam Roller
Hams / Calves / Quads / IT Bands / Back

Joint Mobility 20 x 1

Neck – left/right

Neck – forward/back

Neck – side/side

Wrist Rotations

Wrist Rotations

Wrist Rotations

Shoulder Circles

Arm Circles

Egyptians

Ankle Mobility

Ankle Mobility

Ankle Mobility

Ankle Circles

Ankle Circles

Ankle Circles

Squats

Squats

Squats

Hula Hoops

Cossacks

Split Switches

Thoracic Exercise 1

Thoracic Exercise 1

Thoracic Exercise 1

Thoracic Exercise 2

Thoracic Exercise 2

Thoracic Exercise 2

Scapula Push Ups

Scapula Push Ups

Scapula Push Ups

I thought "Truck Stabilty Push-Up" meant the scapula ones - but now I'm sure he meant Trunk as in the planks. This makes sense as in most of the exercises you want ensure to activate the core before execution. Will change this around tomorrow.


Trigger point therapy – work on points relating to the knee. Still haven't got the Knobbily S, but I think it is with a neighbour. This is where he suggests doing TPT.


FMS
Toe Touch – toes up, heels down 10 x 1 Too easy now on the first one, progress to do palms!!
Active Leg Raise – supported leg raises, curl-ups 10 x 2 I've definitely come in a bit closer to the wall on supported leg raises, though I still have a ways to go. Also I can touch my toes on the curl-ups with straight legs!!

Body Weight

Push Ups 7 x3 - bit rubbish but really good form and slow and controlled. Work up to 10 x 3 then elevate my feet 10 x 3, then start work on the one arm push-ups.
Horizontal Pull Hang 30 secs x 3 - was outside so just did these out there. Up to the Pull Hold with band next time
Lunges 10 x 2 e/l - pretty easy, pretty stable too.

KB Vo2Max Snatches

16kgs x 7 reps for 43 rounds – 301 total reps in 21 mins 15.

Felt good, back was grand. Stopped as right wrist was starting to give me a little trouble - going to ice it tonight. Actually started to walk away at 42 rounds and then went back after I counted it at 294.

Core Activation
Plank 45 secs
Side plank 30 secs e/s Hard, hard, hard!!!
glute bridges double leg 20 x1 - too easy, need to just do the single leg ones from now on.


Active or static stretches
Hamstring Stretch, Hip Stretch, Shoulder Dislocates.


Foam roller, longer session (about 10 minutes)

Dare I say it I actually quite enjoyed this tonight, in places - I know, I'm very fickle. The thoracic mobility drills I added were hateful though, so I obviously need them.

If I'm reading Brett's reply right if doing ASLR exercises I should do only mobilty relating to this - so maybe leg swings, high knees, ankle mobilty etc. Work on a few trigger points and then do the corrective exercises and some stretches. Next session I could focus on squat, mobility relating to squat, corrective exercises and stretches. There is a lot of overlap in those two with mobility and stretches and I don't see why I couldn't do a quick blast of mobilty, exercises and stretches later on in the evening. I do like focusing on one movement for a week or so til it's "fixed" though. I'd appreciate some thoughts.

All in all, even though it has only been 3 days, I am very happy with the progress and quite excited about being able to overhead squat ass to the ground in the future. Even if it is hard work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mightyish Mouse here,
Those exercises by Boyle are horrble, at first.
Have a look at Jeff Martones article on his site "Releasing the parking brake" for some ideas for your bridges.If doing single bridges do the 'Cook' version you saw on Jones's DVD.
It should all be worth it. I hope!

Anonymous said...

Mouse again,
Just a little tip, before you do your Squat progessions with the towel between your knees and your toes either up or down, massaage the soles of your feet by standing on a tennis ball and rolling it around for a minute each foot. Don't know why but it makes your hammies looser.