Monday 7 July 2008

The Re-hab plan

OK - so where does this leave me? Well I now know that I have a lot of issues that need attention, including but probably not limited to -

Terrible posture
Terrible flexibility. Period.
Terribile mobility in ankles, knees, hips, back, shoulders and neck
Pain in the neck when turning head right
One shoulder raised
Internally rotated shoulders (palms facing rear)
Left shoulder ache
Lower Back Ache
Wrist ache (resulting from poor strength and mobility)
Knee ache in both knees
Assymetry in lower body regarding mobility, stability and co-ordination.
Balance
Glutes don't fire

On top of the above from even using the foam roller I have trouble handling my own weight. I was knackered after supporting my body weight for only a few minutes. Once upon a time I was doing a circuit twice a week that included in the large number of exercises 18 (not especially strict) chin ups and 35 press ups. I am a LONG way off that now - granted I didn't have the strength I have these days though.

So with all that in mind here's a template I've come up with. It is heavily influenced from this, the FMS book and this site. I plan to be adding 3-4 sessions of vo2 max snatches with 16kg KB when my back feels up to it and also a bit of grip/wrist work. I also sent a copy of this to Brett Jones to ask his advice on it, if he responds it may well be subject to change.

Foam Roller
Hams / Calves / Quads / IT Bands / Back

Joint Mobility
Pick out 7 or 8 exercises on areas that you need to work. If they are easy then drop them and replace. Do 3 different routines for variety and rotate.

FMS
Corrective Exercises for one screen at a time.

Body Weight Exercises

Core Activation
Scap pushups, Plank, side plank, glute bridges single and double leg rotate.

Active or static stretches
Decompression Hangs, Hamstring Stretch, Hip Stretch, Shoulder Dislocates.

Foam roller, longer session (about 10 minutes)

Trigger point therapy Currently have minor shoulder, knee and lower back issues.

3 comments:

Martin Schap said...

Must feel good to have a plan and be doing something about your nagging injuries. Looking forward to seeing how this new routine treats you.

Colin said...

Yes and no - I'll be working almost entirely on weaknesses, ergo things I hate to do. It'll do me good on so many different levels though, let us hope I have the discipline to see it through.

From your post about MN motto: I've read a lot about Jeese Woody and have some pdfs on parkour training he's done. Very, very, cool, impressive stuff.

Anonymous said...

Mouse here,
Things you hate to do -- yes! BUT when you pass one of the screens and then another and another. You will feel different it's wierd but worth it. I hate press ups, the 'press' and don't get me stared on toe touches but get the most satisfaction from improving them because I hate them so bloody much. You will see improvements, all you need to do is turn up and do the work.