Friday 22 August 2008

Hell-en

Warm Up:
Mobility & Squats/Pumps/Halos

"Helen"

Three rounds for time:
Run 660 meters (I think this is what my block measured)
24Kgs KB X 21 swings
12 Pull-ups (assisted 2 x Blue Bands)

20:28

Comment: A "Where are you now?" workout. Giving the ME Crossfit BlackBox a run out with the goal of improving body comp - though I'd be disappointed not to increase cv, strength, power, running speed, jumping etc etc given what I've read!! We shall see.

In addition I'm measuring myself tomorrow, weight, BF, waist etc and going to keep them in fitday along with a food plan - I'll keep them to myself and do a before and after in 8 weeks. Of course I'll also give this another go to see how I've improved.

Just on the subject of this. I was interested to read your comment Martin about your friend not going all out and scaling way back where he felt necessary. It was in my mind when I decided that I was going to go back to circuits. I also read about scaling back a bit and not "cashing out" in the ME Black Box articles and then obviously read about your friends success with this approach. It's good to have these things empathised, it gives me confidence that I'm doing the right thing. It will take me a little while to find out which weights I should be using for these but I fully intend erring on the side of caution.

Just to be clear though - this was a TOUGH session still and there is a lot of work to be done between now and the end of October......and beyond.

1 comment:

Martin Schap said...

I remember a while back on the CrossFit blog there was talk that you should have to have a verified Helen time to be allowed to post comments. Not a certain time, mind you, but just proof that you'd actually DONE one of the workouts before you go shooting your mouth-keys off.
Anyway, don't really know why I bring that up. Good session today, and I'll look forward to seeing you attack fat. The key thing to remember with scaling adn all that is that oyu will be scaling it to zero if you do something dumb and hurt yourself. I think this is the biggest critique I've seen of CrossFit. People say it encourages you to go too hard, but if you just use your common sense it's a fine program.