Monday 4 August 2008

Back with a vengence!!!

Got a little lazy towards the end of last week and didn't train as I was off for the weekend. My frustration I built up at the poker tables all melted away though tonight as I went on a PR rampage.

Warm Up:

Mobility and corrective exercises

Weights (3 mins rest between sets)
F Squat: 24kgs x 7, 40kgs x 7, 56kgs x 7 PR
Comment:A/W Maybe had a little more in me but will stick to 7 reps at least for 1 more session

P Press: 16kgs x 9, 24kgs x 9, 32kgs x 9 PR
Comment: A/W Hard enough, but again possibly a little more in me. Stick for another session.

Vo2Max Snatches (15:15)
16kgs - 80 rounds of 7 PR
Comment: In all honesty this wasn't too bad at all, could have gone on but for the mess of my right hand. I was using the cut off socks a la Tracy Rif, but it put all the friction further up the fingers and they got ripped to bits after 50 rounds. It was quite sore but my head was in the right place tonight and nothing was going to stop me.


Note: It's worse than it looks here and my fingers are bent in this pic and aren't only like 2 inches long!!

Stretches to finish.

General Comments: I think the key to todays PRs was that I was very efficient in each exercise. Felt very relaxed and conserved a lot of energy to get me through this with more to spare. High volume snatches are going to take their toll on my hands so I need to get them better protected for the long run. Overall I'm quite pleased with how it went. ;)

6 comments:

Martin Schap said...

I know well what you are going through with the hands. That will suck for a while. Are your bells sanded? Made a world of difference for me. Looks like there may be something to this idea of taking time off and then hitting it hard. Very nice work.

Franklin said...

Outstanding work! The 80 sets at 7reps is really great. If you have a 20kg, I suggest you go to that otherwise time to jump to the 24kg.

Colin said...

Thank you guys.

Martin - I haven't sanded my 16 or 24 but I will do that this week. I've always been hesitant to do so, but seeing how well my sanded 32 is holding up, its the way to go. Gotta try something - can't have my hands like this all the time.

Franklin - the 24 is one step beyond for me at present. I've actually put my barbell and weights on ebay, hopefully the money that generates will go towards a 20kg. In the meantime I'm going for 8 @ 15:15 and then going after 20 @ 36:36 for 30 rounds.

Martin Schap said...

Selling your barbell?! Say it ain't so! Does this mean you've fallen out of love with the deadlift?

Colin said...

Many factors for my decision; like the fact I can get more than I paid for them, space, and that I can get more use out other smaller implements. I only use my barbell to deadlift but I'd use (cheap as chips) sand bags and KBs for many different things.

I can always go the gym when I want to do a bit of DLing - plus now it's quite decent I should be doing it in public to make the gym rats feel really weak ;)

Martin Schap said...

Fair enough. I like to do them in the gym here at work and make the college professors feel weak.