Monday 29 December 2008

Shoulder Screen

Daily Joint mobility Complex
20 reps each

Screening From Secrets of the Shoulder


Neck - Left/Right & Forward/Backwards
Fine, no pain, no imbalances and pretty good flexibility

Shoulder Flexibility
Not the most flexible of shoulders and it is slightly worse on the right hand side. Even begins to feel a bit painful when I push towards my limit.

Impingement Test
No pain for either of these.

Grip test
CoC #1 - about 1/2 inch off closing on both sides. Not great but at least symmetrical.

Breathing
Good. I tend to breath into my belly anyway so problems for me here.

Trunk Rotation
Past 45 degrees on either side and pretty symmetrical. A lot better than I expected, prehaps the thoracic spine mobility I do every morning is already paying off. (I still hate it though!)

Prone Press Up
A bit of pain in right shoulder and a little impingment in the lower back.

Crocodile Breath
5 mins Easy

Push-up - standard push-up baseline
Quite a lot of pain in the right shoulder.

OK, so there is a definite problem with the right shoulder under a bit of loading, some lower back issues and when I go to the floor for some of the corrections I am not getting enough t-spine mobility. So even though I passed the test above I shall go through the correction exercises. In the DVD they all build upon each other and the t-spine can be the cause of all number of shoulder issues apparently.

So the corrections progression will be as follows:

GTG Gripper throughout all stages
Stick work (or tennis ball work in my case) around Lats, Shoulder and Tri-ceps.
Side Lying Rotation
Shoulder Rotation
2 x 10 each side

Then
Trunk Rotation
Reach Roll and Lift
2 x 10 each side

And finally
KB Arm Bars
Half Get Ups

I had said yesterday that I'd do Shoulder and DL work on alternate days but given that there are so few exercises to add for the shoulder I plan to just add them straight in and do them every day. If I find I'm getting a bit tired or whatever then I'll drop the DLs or possibly everything for that day and rest.

I haven't done any of the DL work tonight as I went for a long hike in the forrest this afternoon and my legs are already tired.

No comments: