Wednesday 31 December 2008

Another Year Over

Out of boredom today I started to take a look through my blog for the past year - I was about half an hour in before it dawned on me that it was New Years Eve and how cliched it was to be doing it.

One of the disadvantages of blogs I have always thought is it is difficult to get a quick overveiw of your past training. It certainly took me ages to get 6 months through it, but it was worth the effort.

I have been starting to think about how I am going to set about the double body weight dead lift and 40kgs MP goals I've set myself for 2009. I've got a month of corrections yet I feel but you should know by now how I like planning a program.

Anyway going through the blog a few things shone out:

LCCJ race to 100 with Franklin - man I had forgot how hard those suckers were, and how focused I had become to get there first. It was certainly of great benefit to us both. Maybe another friendly common goal later in the year would be fun for a change of pace.

My shoulders were trashed the entire way through - I just accepted that it was part of lifting and hoped that it wouldn't interfere too much. I am so glad that I decided to make a concerted effort to address this and all the other "little niggles".

The support and advice that I got from you guys - invaluable, especially when I am surrounded by people who have little interest in my hobby. Thanks.

Finally there was my DL experiment (Look through May 2008) - it was actually working out very well. I DLed for 30 days straight at one stage, and was putting out sessions like this: DL - 95 x 1, 100 x 1, 105 x 1, 110 x 1, 115 x 14 .....and then doing snatches or swings later in the day!!

I seemed to be testing for a new 1RM DL or LCCJ or RKC Snatch test every week in May! Man I look back now and wonder how I didn't permenantly burn myself out. If I was to be doing that little experiment again - and I am seriously thinking about it - then I'd just be doing DLing and I guess the same with MPs.

I want to do 2-3 months of out and out strength work when I feel I have the corrections down and switch to 2-3 months of ETK after that. I was looking through a few programs like 5x5 and remembered how much I dislike doing so many reps in a set for the DL.

Plus there were two great things about that experiment - firstly I hit a PR of 162.5kgs and secondly there were some great discussions about it on here. I need to put a little more thought into it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work again.

No comments: