Friday 14 March 2008

Diet Rant

"Much evidence exists that overweight people who exercise are healthier than those who do not. Smokers who exercise are healthier than those who do not. No arguments there. The question posed is: Does exercise contribute significantly to fat loss? I’d have to say no. Food is the larger factor. If we look at the effects of exercise on things like hormone status it is a middling thing compared to insulin levels. Insulin potentially affects reproductive hormones, leptin hunger…the essence of life." Robb Wolf

I'd have to say a resounding NO as well. Since I kicked back into this stuff in November I've come a long way toward hitting the goal that I set for myself. However I have GONE a long way from what I was expecting the realisation of that goal to mean in terms of body composition. I've trained pretty hard but have literally fed my body with whatever I felt like, whenever I felt like it. Result is that I am currently at the heaviest I have ever weighed - which is 3.5-4 stone over weight. It like carrying around a 24kg KB all day everyday! IT HAS GOT TO STOP!!!

This weekend marks the preparation for a one month stint of healthy food ONLY - 100% compliance. I shall do out all the charts and plan etc because I obviously need to treat myself this way. Hopefully somewhere down the line I can eat healthy instinctively, but until then this is how its got to be. No more of these gimmicky diets.

I know what I need to eat and what to avoid for my health and fitness - everyone does - so it won't be written down here but I'll write about my compliance, weight and generally how I feel doing it once a week. Time to fucking sort this out!!

1 comment:

Martin Schap said...

Hit it brother. As Coach Dan John says, you have to attack fat. I was once a bit heavier than I wanted to be. I worked out hard for about 6 months before I realized the connection between my crappy eating habits and my failure in the fat loss department. Within two months of eating right and lifting weights and walking for exercise, I was at my goal weight. Diet and exercise works every time.