Saturday 29 March 2008

Krav Maga

Not for me. I'm not sure if it was the class, the instuctor or the discipline but I wasn't impressed. There were a couple of throws and a ground escape that were quite easy to pick up and effective for the position you were in....but I've just never had anyone come at me with 2 hands for my throat to choke me.

At the end of the class there was a "pressure test" where 1 guy tried all the moves they had been taught over weeks of training. The knife attacks were a joke and the "defences" more laughable, I'd rather know to just run from knives than think I stood a chance squaring off with those techniques.

I will say that I was on the wrong end of take down of the class. Knocked the wind right out of me, but I swear I got up thinking "Man, I've got to learn some judo!!".

It was a bit of a laugh though and something different, but I got to say the best of it was that I got to drink some chocolate milk (poor man's Surge).

Food
08.00 Eggs Bacon and veg
12.30 Chocolate milk, 10 Almonds and an Apple
15.00 Steak, veg and pepper sauce
19.15 Bacon sandwich and cup of tea*

*Slipped up here, I was craving something different and kinda messed up my routine after the 2 hour Krav Maga session. Don't feel guilty or anything about it though and will be back on the straight and narrow again tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Mr Mouse here again! I'm very new to kettlebells, just working my way through ETK, and it's OK so far. Some of the weights I'm lifting are a bit of a joke but have shoulder issues that limit this at present, but they are getting more stable and stronger. So at present I am putting 'volume' in my muscles as recomended by Mr Dilugio at at The Art of Strength.
Pity about the Krav Maga it sounds good, but "self defence " is much more about being aware of your environment and who or what is within it, than fancy punches and kicks. As Geoff Thompson puts it "Learn how to punch hard and run fast"! Don't be put off some of the sports stuff like judo or MMa it's bloody hard work but a good laugh as well. As far as reading Rifs blog you could also try to email him and pick his brains that way!!

Colin said...

Work from wherever you are Mouse and keep going til you get to where you want to be...don't let anything distract you!! Lift what you can properly and regularly and you will be ahead of the pack in no time. I just posted on Dragon Door about what I have been doing to sort out my shoulder issues.

I got a few Geoff Thompson books and DVDs and couldn't agree more with what you and he are saying. What I was after was some simple effective strategies for when you have no other options...I just thought it was getting complicated and not what I was looking out of it. I'm sure it's great and I'm not knocking it or indeed the MMA or Judo - in fact I woke this morning feeling sore and it highlighted that I'm just not as "fit" as I think I am. But it was good craic!! :)

Anonymous said...

Mr Mouse here,
Thompson's "The Fence" & "Three second fighter" are excellent. Also Jamie O'Keefe's "Dogs don't know Kung Fu", although written for women is brilliant and is a must read. The simplest strategy is avoidance and that means awareness. If you get that wrong it will just blow up in your face, if your awareness is good that may act as a deterent but then again they may try it anyway, and for those situations you have to be able to cross over to the dark side(!)or just give it up. Get a punch bag and go 'psycho' for 30 seconds flat out with fists and elbows, plenty of foot movement, learn to sprawl so as to avoid the tackle. Use the fence amd your hand gestures to set them up[ and practice on the bag! Get a good friend to scream and hurl abuse at you to try and simulate what you may face! Pre arranged responses seldom work for us mere mortals as the opposition tends not cooperate! Personaly I prefer the run like &*%3 defence.
As for the bells , I am enjoying them. I can't say I enjoyed going on the treadmill and doing all the other traditional gym stuff it was boring and I didn't get anywhere really. What I like about ETK and the RKC in general is that it empasises health, and the ability to perform - safely, and there is no dishonour(!) in using wimpy weights its about doing the work YOU need to do. will check your posts on Draondoor. Til the next time.