Sunday 2 March 2008

Getting Groovy

Spent the last couple of days doing GTG with swings and Push Presses / Military Presses / Back Up Press. Back up press meaning where I give myself a little assistance with the other arm on a MP. All very easy with plenty of rest between each attempt.

I can grind out a Military Press OK on both sides now and the weight feels a lot more manageable that when I first picked it up.

But.... I've been doing a bit of thinking and a bit of reading - a dangerous thing with me ;)

I have decided that for the next 6 weeks I am going to do the following remembering that my overall goals are 200 snatches in under 10 mins with 24kgs and to MP 40kgs with either arm:

M-W-F - Easy Snatches - Medium 1 handed Swings - Hard 1 handed swings with 24kg for 10 mins

Tu-Sa - Easy sets 1 handed Swings 32kgs & variety grip work

M-T-W-Th-F-Sa - GTG Back up press 32kgs. Varying the volume each day. Test every 2 weeks

Basically it is ETK ROP only subbing GTG presses for ladders. My goal here is strength, I want to press 40kgs once, not 24kgs 100 times. I want to be using the heavier weight and I am working from home at present so ideally suited to GTG my presses.

I have chosen to do back up presses over push presses because I cannot generate as much tension throughout my body with push presses. With the back up press I can give a little assistant in the sticking points and still focus of keeping myself tight through most of my body. I think this will be easier on my shoulders and put the empathise back on max strength, as where I was with ladders was more strength endurance.

The snatches and swings are obviously all about shoring up my grip, working conditioning and pushing up those snatch numbers. The goal is 250 1 handed swings in 10 mins at end of this cycle.

In 6 weeks I'm going to switch to PTTP style training, with conditioning that will continue to focus on SSST numbers. Before I start that though I will have a test day for ROP.

No comments: