Wednesday 30 April 2008

16kg SSST

Resting HR 52bpm

Mobility
Pumps / Knee Bends / Shoulder Dislocates / Wall Walks

AM
DL 11 x 1 102.5kgs - little out of sorts to start but got into a good "groove" and they sailed up.

PM
SSST with 16kgs - 232 reps PR

Had been watching YouTube videos of the AKC lot and was getting inspired at the frankly incredible numbers they were putting up. I've also read a lot about using a "corkscrew" on the downward part of the snatch and thought I'd try it out after watching it being done.

The result was a new PR - I didn't even go all out and could probably have had a bit more. Felt reasonably fresh after.

4 comments:

Martin Schap said...

Nice. Was 200 your PR? I need to get my snatch form dialed in. I found out I won't be able to meet with an RKC on the date I thought I would, so I need to email him and get something else blocked out. I definitely want in on the fun though.

Colin said...

Yeah I set it way back on my 2nd post I think it was - so if it didn't go up I'd have been raging!!

I keep seeing guys like Martone, Maxwell, Cotter and more have seemingly switched to AKC ethos for want of a better word. After watching some skinny guys throwing up 32 doubles for 50-60 reps it makes me wonder.

Fun it may be - but you've got a job to do first. Breaking all records on the police test.

Franklin said...

The AKC way is a completely legitimate way of training. Many former RKCs have transitioned to this style and are enjoying great progress. Personally, I think its all good but have set my priorities on an RKC Certification first and foremost.

Colin said...

The thing that really sold KBs for me was that study about improving all PT test disciplines by just training KBs. It dawned on me today that the study probably wasn't based on what I'm doing but more likely Girevik Sport - Snatches, Jerks and Long Cycle.

I don't know the differences in style or indeed in how they train. I've read a little about going for 4, 6, 8 or even 10 minutes pacing yourself. Do you know much more about it Franklin - or even better have any links?

Frankly I owe a most if not all my improvement to DD, but I'm always keen to keep an open mind. All I want this year is 200 24kg Snatches in 10 mins and get half my body weight over my head with one hand.