Thursday 8 May 2008

Martin:
The taxes are not that bad - just something I've never had to do before and have to learn it quite quickly. Good news is that they owe me money though- woohoo!!

Smallest plates are 1.25kgs. 100kgs felt good, and I felt damn good at 102.5kgs before I hit my PR. In all honesty I think that it harks back to the 1RM. I reckon it took a lot out of me, it was too much and I'm lucky not to be injured. Again I'll say that the 110kgs isn't excessively hard - it's just that it hasn't been leaving me feeling as good, as fresh and as free moving. It's hard to find the right superlatives I need to describe the feeling.

Sure I want to forge ahead and hit my goals, but as important to me now is feeling good everyday. Longevity too, which I know is the angle Aaron was coming from. Sustained progression without beating yourself up everyday - this is what I want too.

I've only been on this 3 weeks, 2 weeks going great with a PR at the end of it. This week not so great now I've adjusted up to the 70% that it suggested. Its a little too high for me - no sweat. Back it up a bit and work from there - I know the gains will come.

Can't see me staying with this for much more than another 3-4 weeks now anyway. The KBs are calling me back and I've got 200 snatches and around 48kgs to get over my head before year end :)

3 comments:

Franklin said...

Great honest analysis of where you are at. I remember after I pulled my most recent 1RM I was toast for a few days. Like you it stalled a bit and I had to dig very deep to lock it out.

Also, keep mixing it up .. every program gets stale after several cycles.

Martin Schap said...

I have been doing a little thinking and crunching some numbers, and I've come up with some interesteing results.
If I remember correctly, your most recent 1RM was 160kg. As we know, that weight required a mighty effort to put up, and could probably be considered close to your "true" limit right now.
150kg is about 94% of 160kg, and my guess is that you could have pulled 150 with relative ease. This might be something like what Pavel calls the "gym" or "training" max.
70% of 160 is 112.
65% of 160 is 104.
70% of 150 is 105.

I think those last two numbers are significant. You noted that 65% might be about right for you. Perhaps on this program (either now or if you decide to revisit it) you just need to take a comfortable training max and the numbers will work just fine. Taking it further, if a weight is predicted as a comfortable max but comes up slow, use .65 as your multiplier instead of .7
I know you've come to similar conclusions through your own observations, instinct, etc. but I just thought the math was interesting.

Colin said...

"The 152.5 was up next and I'd never lifted over 140. I didn't really think too much about it though, I was chilling out between efforts on my summer seat. I went in and pulled it up, but it felt pretty darn heavy. Form was beginning to go...."

Thats from my account on the Max day. So from that it is interesting in the relationship.

I gotta say though that from now on out I'm going to try to listen to the feedback from my body and work to that. I'll check the math after the fact now.

Was interested to read about your approach to increasing chin ups yesterday. Exactly what a couple of crossfitters were saying in Naked Warrior. Same but different.